Monday, June 30, 2008

The tedium of RSS feeds

Well, it's been a while - about 7 weeks - since I last did any learning 2.0. It's good to be back!

I looked at the Week 6 exercises today, on RSS feeds. I didn't have a very good time - in fact I think I am only slightly less confused than I was before I started! I managed to subscribe the the Powerhouse Museum Photo of the Day and to a SMH news blog. I may be doing something wrong, but it wasn't clear to me how to find decent sites to get RSS feeds from. Even the Powerhouse site wasn't clear - I subscribed by searching for it on the Bloglines site - nowhere on the Powerhouse site could I find something saying "click here for RSS feeds' or something similar. I searched the web for some time, but couldn't find any other sites I was able to or was interested in getting feeds from.

I will have another go soon - hopefully with more enthusiasm and luck!

On another note - does anyone else find it annoying that there is no spell checker when you are posting? I realise I rely on it quite a lot.

1 comment:

slnsw_learning_2.0 said...

Great to see you back to the program.

It can be hard to find sites of interest when you are put on the spot. Mostly when you see the striped orange square you can click on that and it will provide the url you need to add to your feed reader.

To search for rss feeds you can
1.go to sites you are interested in (say the BBC) and search their sites for rss feeds
2.do a google blog search (http://blogsearch.google.com/) and search for blogs of interest you want to follow as rss feeds
3. Wait until you come across blogs/other rss feeds of interest and add them to your aggregator.

There is a little spell checking on blogger. When you are writing a post there is a small box (just above where you are typing) with 'abc' and a tick. Click on this and your spelling will be checked.

Please ring if you would like some help.

Ellen (PLS)